The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, is an independent, non-partisan, nonprofit organization that combines expertise in research, technical assistance, and demonstration projects to assist leaders in government and civil society examine justice policy and practice, and improve the systems people rely on for justice and safety. Vera has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans, and its projects and reform initiatives, typically conducted in partnership with local, state, or national officials, are located across the United States and around the world. Vera is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Common Justice and HealingWorks Undergraduate or Graduate Intern
Common Justice is a demonstration project of the Vera Institute of Justice. HealingWorks is a product of Common Justice and the first national learning collaborative for people working with young men of color who have been harmed by violence and trauma. HealingWorks is looking for an Intern to assist and work directly with the HealingWorks Program Director. This is a 20-hour a week, paid internship. Candidates will need strong computer and communications skills.
The intern may be responsible for the following duties:
- Support Program Director in building and expanding external partnerships with community-based organizations and groups
- Help organize and facilitate group trainings
- Work on additional short-term project goals
- Outreach to other organizations, in-person, by phone and email
- PowerPoint presentations, and other computer-based activities
- Experience with criminal justice field;
- Strong interest in social justice for underserved populations;
- Strong interest in criminal defense preferred;
- Ability to work with a diverse population;
- Strong written and oral communication skills required;
- Creativity, flexibility, patience, and follow-through;
- Excellent organization skills and ability to work alone and in a team environment; and
- Bilingual English/Spanish desirable.
- Formerly incarcerated people and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply;
This is a 20-hour/week paid internship.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and dates of availability.
Electronic submissions in PDF format are preferred; however if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to:
Summer 2017 Internship: Common Justice, HealingWorks
Vera Institute of Justice
233 Broadway,12th Floor
New York, NY 10279
Please use only one method (online, mail or fax) of submission.
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Vera is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, current employment status, or caregiver status.
Vera works to advance justice, particularly racial justice, in an increasingly multicultural country and globally connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system contact, and depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about Vera and Common Justice please visit www.vera.org.